Saturday, March 10, 2012

It's a sad day in Chicago...................


Story Image 


Before leaving for military training in Alabama, Marine Cpl. Conner Lowry left a note on his sister Grace Levin’s desk.
She shared his words with fellow mourners at Lowry’s funeral Saturday morning.
“Dear Gracie, I am so proud of you. I will miss you dearly. I’m so honored to call you my sister. I love you with all my heart. I will always be here for you. I will miss you sweetie. I love you with all my heart. Conner Lowry.”
Lowry was killed in action in Afghanistan on March 1. His body arrived at Midway Airport on Friday morning, and after an emotional procession through several South Side neighborhoods and a stop at his alma mater, Brother Rice High School, family, friends and supporters turned out for his wake at St. John Fisher.
More than 1,500 mourners packed Saint John Fisher Church in Beverly Saturday for Lowry’s funeral, some arriving as early as 8 a.m., and many parking as far as six blocks away.
A flag line from the Illinois Patriot Guard stood at attention, lining the front of the church. The Chicago Fire Department’s bag and pipe band were assembling. Inside the church were whispers and hugs as friends and family made their way to Lowry’s flag-draped casket at the front of the church to pay their last respects.
Lowry’s friend, Mike Roche, on Saturday said he was “one of the funniest people” he’s known.
“His one liners, practical jokes,” Roche said. “Conner was never afraid of calling it like it was. Conner always played by his own rules, he always lived his life large.”

9 comments:

  1. Johnny,

    The worst thing about war is that we lose the best of us. No one ever sends the Mud_PILEs over to risk their lives for America.

    May God Bless the Lowry family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny,
    Well done.

    Rest in Peace Marine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny,

    Thank you. I wish you didn't have to do these posts, but it means alot that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The procession brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a good man Johnny. You sure you're not a Southerner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. With a tear in my eye just reading this, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. T- Sorry, I was born and raised in Chi-Town. But I was raised by two hillbillies from Kentucky. Does that count? :)

    MrsAl- It was a somber weekend on the SouthSide for sure. The country lost a hero. Chicago lost a friend. I'll post one more picture to show how the children responded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Johnny,

    It is apparent that your hillbillies did a fine job raising you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. T- I would definitely agree........

    ReplyDelete